VCC Medical Assistant program prepares you to manage the administrative and clinical aspect of a medical setting. Perform routine administrative tasks to keep the offices of physicians and other health practitioners. Duties include answering telephones, updating and filing patients’ medical records, filling out insurance forms, handling correspondence, scheduling appointments, arranging for hospital admission and laboratory services, and handling billing and bookkeeping. Assists physicians to carry out procedures, care for patients, administer medications and perform basic lab tests. The Medical Assistant works in a physician’s office, or hospital setting. Bureau of Labor Statistics Standard Occupational Classification Code (SOC 31-9092). The program consists of 320 hours of classroom instruction and a 160-hour Clinical externship. Total clock hours of 480. This program will prepare you to take the Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) and Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) examination through the National Healthcare Association (NHA). There are no prerequisites for this program.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older. All applicants must present either a State issued Identification card/driver’s license or passport.
- Must have a social security number, US Citizen or a permanent resident.
- Proof of High School Graduate/GED or a degree higher than High School Diploma
- Felony, drug, theft, and certain convictions are not allowed. Background check, and drug screening required.
- Physical exam, TB screening, and immunization as required by internship site
Applicants must pass English and Math proficiency test to obtain admission.