Requirements for Instructor Candidates
To become an AHA BLS Instructor, BLS instructor candidates must:
1. Be accepted by an AHA Training Center before enrolling in a BLS Instructor Essentials Course and have a completed Instructor Candidate Application on file with the accepting Training Center.
2. Have Current BLS Provider status and be proficient in all the skills of that discipline. NOTE: While AHA BLS Instructors also teach AHA Heartsaver courses, instructor candidates are not required to have a Heartsaver card in addition to a BLS Provider Card.
3. Successfully complete the BLS Instructor Essentials Course (both the online and classroom/hand-on portions). Students must print the certificate of completion from the online portion for entry into the. Classroom/hand-on portion.
4. Successfully be monitored teaching their first course within six months of completing the discipline-specific classroom Instructor Course (Training Center Coordinators can require additional monitoring if needed).
5. Register on the AHA Instructor Network and be confirmed by your primary Training Center for issuance of your Instructor ID number, which must be used to issue provider eCards.